Over the years I have enjoyed working with many children in the kitchen and showing them my world as a chef. Teaching a child to cook is one of the greatest advantages one can give the next generation.
DELICIOUS FISH FINGERS
100g plain (all-purpose) flour
3 eggs, beaten
200g dried breadcrumbs
1 tbspn fresh rosemary, chopped
500g white skinless, boneless fish fillets
for frying vegetable oil
to taste salt
to taste pepper
• To start, as the adult, heat the oil for frying away from the children’s reach in a shallow frying pan.
• Take three bowls. Into the first, sift the flour and add the salt and pepper to season it.
• In the second bowl, crack the eggs and whisk to break them up.
• In the third bowl, add the breadcrumbs and fold the fresh chopped rosemary into this.
• Cut the fish fillets into finger-sized lengths
• Get the children to dip each finger of fish in the flour, shaking off any excess and then dip it into the egg.
• Finally, roll it in the breadcrumbs so it’s completely coated then place each onto a tray.
• To cook the fingers, make sure the oil is of the right heat. Cook the fingers for 3-4 minutes on each side.
• Place onto kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven, if cooking in batches.
STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
400g fresh strawberries
200g sweet condensed milk
• Top and hull the strawberries and wash.
• Chop them into small pieces.
• Use a potato masher to squash the strawberries as much as you can.
• In a large bowl, add the mascarpone and mash this into the strawberries mix.
• Add the sweet condensed milk and mix everything together.
• Spoon the mixture into a metal bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer overnight.
• Scoop and serve.
EASIEST PIZZA EVER
2 fresh kuboos bread
400g tomatoes, chopped
200g tomato purée tube
1 egg, beaten
120g mild cheddar, grated
60g fresh button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 capsicum, thinly sliced
80g sweet corn kernels
3-4 pineapple rings, fresh or canned
4-5 cooked turkey bacon slices, chopped
1 tbspn fresh parsley, finely chopped
100g mozzarella cheese, shredded
to taste salt
• To make the tomato sauce, put the chopped tomatoes and tomato purée into a pan and bring to the boil.
• Simmer for about 10 minutes to boil off the liquid.
• Strain the resulting sauce, taste it and adjust the flavour with salt and pepper. Cool before using.
• Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
• On a foil-covered baking sheet, place the first large piece of kuboos bread. Brush it with the beaten egg completely, and then top with the second piece of kuboos.
• Spread a thick layer of tomato sauce over the top, and then sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese and all the toppings. Sprinkle the top with the mozzarella cheese before baking in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
• Remove the pizza from the oven. Cut and serve.