Do you want to party like a rock star? Here’s what you should do to bring the Hamptons or Miami lifestyle to our little island.
1. Multiple day party. Having one party to celebrate a special occasion is a thing of the past. Did you know that Naomi Campbell enjoyed a USD1.8 million three-day bash in Dubai for her 36th birthday?
2. Location, location, location. To party like a Hollywood star, you will have to spend like one. Instead of getting your friends together at home, why not plan a weekend getaway?
3. All about the music. These days, everyone can hire a DJ at a party. Stand out from the crowd and get some live entertainment. Didn’t President Obama have Beyoncé belt out at his inauguration?
4. Keep your guests entertained. To make sure your friends don’t leave right after dinner, it’s essential to have some fun games and entertainment lined up like a videogame challenge. Katy Perry asked her guests to wear all white and then had a cake frosting fight at one of her parties.
5. Hire help. A-listers do not go around serving snacks to their guests and neither should you. Spend some cash and hire ushers, servers and maybe a valet too!
6. Don’t cook. Food is one of the key elements of a gathering, so don’t mess it up with your mom’s mac and cheese recipe. Have a professional do the cooking.
7. Paparazzi action. One thing you can count on at a celeb party is the paparazzi. Give your guest that five-star treatment and bring in a professional photo booth or have a photographer take shots of everyone throughout the night.
8. Party favours. If there is one thing stars love, it’s giving away free stuff — and getting them too! Let your guests walk away with a little show of appreciation. A make-up goodie bag for the girls, perhaps? Nothing too drastic though.
9. Invites are key. First impressions last. That’s why your invitations should make a statement. Keep it bold but simple enough so as to not seem desperate for attention.
10. VIP treatment. Nothing says luxury like an after party. Send out a special VIP invite to your close circle of friends. For a celebrity this could mean a quick midnight getaway to Paris, but we will settle for an exclusive ‘girls only’ sleepover.
12. Interview your guests. Ask them what they are wearing. Take a picture of them and post it on your Instagram account.
13. MasterChef presentation. Don’t just order pizza and pass it around. If you are aiming for a ‘high-end’ feel, you will have to have a good presentation of your food and beverages. Be creative and also have bite-sized snacks going around.
14. Have a theme. Another thing that could add to the hype of your party is having a specific theme. Given that summer is finally upon us, you can’t go wrong with a pool party.
15. Loosen up. The key to being a fun host is actually having fun. Don’t take the night too seriously and loosen up! We are sure party-hoppers like Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton will vouch for that.
16. Make an entrance. Many celebrities don’t wait around to greet their guests and instead make a grand entrance. You know how Lady Gaga got carried into the Grammys by shirtless men? Yeah, don’t do that.
17. Rent out a venue. It may be more expensive but it’s also much more convenient. If you rent out a restaurant or ballroom, guests will find it easier and there will be no parking space issue.
18. Have your guests arrive in style. Go all out and offer your friends and family a limo pick-up service.
19. Introduce a signature drink. Get the bartenders to mix up a drink that sticks to your theme and name it after yourself. Also, have premium brands available for alternatives.
20. Prepare a toast. Personalise your party by addressing your friends and family. Having a spotlight on you while you speak isn’t too much, is it?