1. Little black dress. This is your fashion security blanket. The best thing about an LBD is that you can style it to make it your own. Channelling Audrey Hepburn? Add a set of pearls. If you want a more Anna Dello Russo look, pair your dress with bootees and some chunky jewellery.
2. Black pumps. A woman can never have too many shoes, that is a given. But one thing that will never go out of trend is a pair of black heels; they can take you from day to night flawlessly.
3. Quality jeans. No closet is complete without flattering, hip-skimming jeans. Keep two pairs on hand in light and dark tones — just make sure the cut suits your body shape.
4. Feminine blouse. Enhance your office wear with this wardrobe staple. If you want the ‘rocker chic’ look that your favourite celebrities have been sporting, pair a girly blouse with a leather jacket.
5. Blazer. If there is one item that is an absolute must for a working girl, it has to be a chic black or navy blazer. This gives you a pulled together look without too much effort and can be removed when the temperature rises.
6. Tights. The perfect way to transform a summer dress into a winter outfit is to pair it with dark tights. This could also work with shorts and skirts. Accessorise with a scarf and flat ankle boots and you are ready to head out.
7. Sweater. Given that sweater weather is finally upon us, this is the best item of clothing to sport when you are heading out for coffee with the girls. Choose thin knits, in cotton or wool, to layer easily for versatility and comfort.
8. Pencil skirt. This staple is for the sleek and sophisticated woman. Someone who has perfected this look is Victoria Beckham and taking notes from the queen of fashion herself has never hurt anyone’s image.
9. Maxi dress. This long and loungey dress is easy to wear and flattering for all body types. Although it is mostly associated with summer wear, adding a fitted blazer can make it work for winter, too.
10. Lacy lingerie. Yes, this isn’t something you can flaunt around for everyone, but every woman knows that a pretty lingerie set gives you an instant confidence boost for a big night out.
11. Scarf. This important accessory really pulls an outfit together. Invest in a chunky woollen one for winter and a printed chiffon style for spring.
12. Coat. The trick with this outerwear essential is finding a style that suits you, and sticking to it. Trench coats were huge on the runways, as were oversized pieces and the military cut.
13. Bathing suit. Always have a cute swim suit in hand. With the island’s unpredictable weather, you never know when you will be invited to your next pool party!
14. Ballet flats. Just as essential as black heels are a pair of comfy flats; especially for those days when you have a glamorous event to attend but your feet need a break from stilettos.
15. Boots. These can make or break an outfit. Choose between flat, over the knee or heeled ankle boots. Better yet, get all!
16. An everyday bag. If you are looking for an item to splurge on, this is it. Make sure it is a classic tote that will go with everything; something leather would be the ideal choice.
17. Black trousers. Every girl needs at least one pair of work trousers suit in her wardrobe. To get the most from this essential, select a fabric that would be suitable for both summer and winter temperatures.
18. Stud earrings. Diamonds are timeless. And what better way to spoil yourself than with a pair of studs. However, if you aren’t willing to max out your credit card, opt for sparkling crystals instead.
19. Cardigan. This cover up goes well over anything; you can wear it over a shift dress and then ditch the extra coverage for a night out in town. Neutral shades are always your best bet when it comes to basics.
20. Striped tee. This piece is the most versatile in your wardrobe. The stripped print is a trend that has been around forever and you can never go wrong with it. Pair it with a blazer for work or with skinny jeans and heels for a weekend look.