Said to be the most important meal of the day, breakfast is the one meal you shouldn’t skip on your big day.
The food served at a wedding reception is traditionally known as the “wedding breakfast”, dating back to the days when Christian weddings were celebrated at a morning church service and bride and groom would be fasting in order to receive Holy Communion.
These days though, wedding receptions are more likely to be in the afternoon or evening so the traditional term hardly applies.
But what about the bride’s own wedding (day) breakfast?
With all that’s going on, pre-wedding nerves, not to mention wanting a flat stomach in the all-important dress, many a bride will be tempted to forego breakfast.
One word. Don’t!
Make sure to eat on the morning of your big day and you’ll be doing yourself a favour. A light protein-packed breakfast will give you the energy you need to keep going until you sit down to your reception meal and will help settle any jitters. If any more convincing were needed, no-one wants their wedding vows interrupted by a rumbling tummy.
One of our favourite high-protein, easy to prepare breakfasts is smoked salmon with scrambled eggs and toasted wholegrain bread.
• 2 fresh free-range eggs
• Knob of butter
• 2 slices of crusty wholegrain bread (or other of your choice)
• A splash of milk
• * 2 slices smoked salmon
• ¼ lemon
• Sea salt to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper to taste
• **Fresh chives to taste
• Whisk together the eggs and milk until light and bubbly.
• Put the toast on to cook.
• Heat the butter in a small pan on a medium heat until melted then add the egg mixture.
• Cook stirring continually and making sure no mixture is stuck around the edges of the pan – the mixture should start to form soft chunks surrounded by still quite runny mixture. It will continue to cook once taken from the heat, so make sure to undercook.
• Butter the toast, season the eggs to taste and pour over the food topping with the salmon slices, plenty of black pepper and chives to garnish.
• Accompany with fruit juice or a glass of bubbles to get your day off to the perfect start.