Accessories can transform a simple look into an outfit that will get everyone talking. We’ve rounded up 20 ways to help you pay more attention to detail this winter.
1. Be practical. Use big thick wool scarves to keep warm during the cold months while still being on trend. Go for rich colours or wide stripes to instantly transform a casual outfit.
3. Don’t forget shades. Sunglasses aren’t just for the summer; get a pair of retro ones to protect your eyes from the strong winter sun.
4. Clutch it. For a handbag that can brighten up a simple outfit, try a unique shaped clutch. Choose one with embellishments, studs, spikes or even fur for bonus fashion points!
5. Up-size. Statement necklaces were big in the summer and to our delight they have made their way into this season’s must-have list. Wear a bold piece with a neutral jumper and high bun.
6. Reach for the glitter. Shine is all the rage this season, so why not extend this trend to your waist? A thin jewelled belt over a structured jacket gives you the perfect hourglass silhouette.
7. Hold your head high. Another favourite is the choker necklace. This item is a great way to dramatise and show off your collar bone.
8. Bloom and blossom. Floral is still in, from brooches, hair pins, necklaces and bracelets. Pump up your feminine style with a bold floral cocktail ring.
9. Try a touch of boho. The feather trend first started in 2011 and it seems to be getting bigger every season. Sport an elaborate feather earring or a long colourful necklace for a dressy but laid-back vibe.
10. Modernise yourself. The futuristic look has seeped its way into our accessories cabinet. Opt for earrings, rings, necklaces and watches with modern shapes made of metals, plastic or stones.
11. Walk tall. Want to add a little drama to your outfit? Over-the-knee boots are just what you need. Wear flat boots during the day and take things up a notch with high heels for a night out.
12. Old is gold. Vintage is in and can be seen on shoes, bags and jewellery everywhere. To pull this off, pair retro inspired peep toe heels with dark stockings.
13. Point in the right direction. Another hot shoe style is the pointy toe. Choose between pumps, flats and even boots to give your outfit a sophisticated woman in charge feel.
14. Channel the Chelsea look. Every girl needs a Chelsea boot this winter. Casual with an edge, this shoe has been favoured by Alexa Chung, Jessica Alba and Kate Moss.
15. Update a classic. Looking to take a little fashion risk? Wedged high top sneakers can give your wardrobe just the right amount of attitude. Pair with super skinny jeans if you want to show some personality!
17. Light it up. Hair streaks are back, and no, not the platinum blonde ones we sported in the 90s. Add a neon coloured extension in your loose bun like Oscar de la Renta’s models for a chic and sophisticated look.
18. Ditch what’s old. Say goodbye to your simple black elastic headband and say hello to a whole new range of hair accessories. Go for pieces with studs, spikes or the season’s ‘it’ colour, cobalt blue, to complement your up-do.
19. Top it off. Hats are always popular. For a subtle and feminine appearance, get yourself a cloche style. The 1920s inspired hat goes well with flirty dresses, skirt suits and trench coats.
20. Work the bridal look. Wedding inspired pieces have been seen all over the catwalks and red carpet events and it is slowly translating into the streets. Take a hint from The Great Gatsby ladies and try a crystal embellished headband.