Bahrain is filled with foodies and with some specialised culinary institutes, islanders can even learn to cook exquisite dishes from the experts.
Chef Alain’s Portobello & Fresh Tuna Steak Lasagna
Ingredients (Serves four)
• 12 lasagna sheet
• 600gm fresh tuna fillet
• 2 Portobello mushrooms
• 4 fresh ripe tomatoes
• 1 red pepper
• 1 bunch of rocca leaves
• 1 tbsp chopped chives
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 tbsp coriander leaves
• 1 tbsp parsley leaves
• 1 tbsp basil
• 1 tsp dry thyme
• 1 lemon – juiced
• 50ml water
• White and black pepper
• Make the dressing by mixing balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
• Blend together coriander leaves with parsley, basil, lemon juice, water, salt and white pepper to make the green sauce – keep aside.
• Cook lasagna sheets in salted water for five minutes and transfer them immediately into a bowl of cold water.
• Slice the Portobello mushrooms to about 0.5cm thickness and season them with black pepper and salt.
• Grill them till slightly brown and set aside.
• Cut the red pepper into very small cubes, boil and then strain them.
• Peel and dice fresh tomato.
• Season fresh tuna with dry thyme, salt and pepper and pat it with olive oil. Cook on the grill for about three minutes on each side. Keep it in a warm place.
• Meanwhile, heat the pepper, tomatoes and Portobello mushrooms in a frying pan with a little olive oil.
• Reheat the lasagna sheets in hot water for a minute. Brush them with a little olive oil and keep the sheets aside.
• Make thin slices of tuna (you will need 12 slices – one per lasagna sheet).
• Fold the tuna into the lasagna, and keep it covered in a warm area.
Presenting the dish
• Place the fresh small rocca leaves on a plate, and drizzle them with the green sauce. Sprinkle with some rock salt.
• Arrange the lasagne-tuna folds on the leaves.
• Top with a thin mixture of pepper, tomatoes and Portobello mushroom.
• Drizzle the dressing on top. Add a lemon wedge and some green leaf herbs; coriander and basil.