Have you been stuck in a rut lately? Just like any other attribute, creativity needs constant nurturing. Here are a few tips that will help you think like there is no box at all!
1. Surround yourself with the right crowd. The age-old saying ‘birds of a feather flock together’ really is timeless. One of the best formulas for inspiration is to be part of a circle of innovative minds.
2. Excercise it daily. Creativity is a muscle. If you want it to grow you will need to consistently work at it. You know what they say, practice makes perfect.
3. Get exposed. Whatever field you are focusing in, expose yourself to new things. Be it arts or sports or even finance, doing something you are not comfortable with can be a source of inspiration.
4. Learn from the greats. Voltaire once said that originality is nothing but judicious imitation. Take from your idols and heroes and make it your own.
6. Clear your mind. You can’t come up with brilliant new ideas if your mind is cluttered. Take a breather every now and then; come back with a fresh perspective.
7. Carry a camera with you. A picture is worth a thousand words, it can also be just what you need for a little inspiration. You don’t have to worry if you don’t have a professional SLR, Instagram shots will do just fine!
8. Keep a notebook handy. Jot down any ideas that come to you throughout the day. This way, your random strokes of genius won’t go to waste.
9. Set guides. Who says creativity is only for the young, wild and free? If you are the type of person who plans ahead and can’t function without a to-do list, another way to look at it is by creating a framework for yourself. Set aside a day in the week where your only task is to reach your creative goal.
10. Develop new hobbies. Curiosity leads you down new paths, so make it a point to try out something new every once in a while. Take a painting class or even a beginners’ golf programme.
11. Stop telling yourself you are not creative. Sylvia Plath once said that the worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. The famed American writer was right, and if you live by this rule you just might reach her reputation – minus the suicide of course.
12. Fake the confidence. It’s true; some people are born with it. For many of us, creativity isn’t an overnight acquisition. Break out of your funk by playing the part until you perfect it.
13. Stay healthy. Yes, we are talking eat right, exercise and the whole shebang. When you feel well, you think well.
14. Spend time with children. Their innocence and curiosity can spark creativity in anyone. Besides, let’s face it, they are so much more fun than your adult friends.
15. Take risks. When you break out of your comfort zone and try something you haven’t before, you not only challenge yourself but you expand your own limitations.
16. Be positive. Your mind is your greatest instrument. Going into a project with a cynical outlook will only leave you with no results.
17. Overcome your fear of failure. Ask yourself, what is the worst that could happen if you can’t do this? The answer is probably, nothing. This also in effect breaks any confinements you have subconsciously put for yourself.
18. Read. It stimulates the mind. Books not only exercise your brain and inspire you, but also provide a much-needed escape from our routine lives.
19. Listen to music. You don’t have to have a single musical bone in your body to be inspired by it. Recent studies even show that music can enhance your level of thinking. Didn’t Albert Einstein say he owed his smarts to listening to Mozart?
20. Travel. We don’t mean a five-star stay on the French Riviera. Take it a step further and backpack through South America or immerse yourself in Tibet. Exploring new cultures allows you to think outside the box, literally breaking boundaries – or just travelling over them.